Since being on chemo I have been in a temporary ‘drug induced’ menopoause. Let me tell you hot flashes at 34 years old is not fun, well I guess it’s not fun at any age really, but I just never expected to have to think about this stuff still I was 50. So obviously hormones have been top of mind for me lately. For most women chats with girlfriends often involve some kind of discussion about periods, PMS, post natal issues and all those great experiences we relive month after month. I wanted to share some essential oils that are great for helping to bring some balance to your system when it comes to hormonal related issues at all stages be it your period, post natal recovery, menopause or even just a stress induced feeling of imbalance aka you cry at commercials with pupppies or babies in them, get annoyed with someone for no reason, eat way too many chips, then cry some more.
6 powerful little essential oil devas for finding some balance – hormonally speaking:
- Clary Sage – this oil is an overall uterine tonic and help to calm muscle pain. It can help with menstrual cramps.
- Rose – can help with irregular period cycles, cleansing and balancing the uterus. It helps to soothe stress induced tension overall, physically and emotionally.
- Geranium- good for menopausal problems , water retention and regulating hormones.
- Roman Chamomile – for general PMS symptoms and menstrual pain. Also aids in digestion, acne breakouts and itchy skin. Good for helping with menopausal symptoms. It also a calming, stress relieving oil. ( please do not use during the early months of pregnancy as it is a can encourage blood flow to the uterus)
- Frankinsense – this is a wonderful post-natal oil as it is a tonic to the uterus, good for the skin (stretchmarks) and calming to the spirit. Great for meditation too.
Ways to use these oils:
- diffuse in an essential oil diffuser
- add 5-6 drops to a tablespoon of carrier oil ( olive, grapeseed, almond etc) and put it in a warm bath or massage onto your abdomen and body
- add a few drops to your body wash or an unscented body lotion in the morning
- one drop on a kleenex and inhale as needed
- the oils can be used on their own or combined, based on your needs, to make a powerful healing blend
(I know I keep saying this but please make sure your purchase good quality oils that are pure)
You may find that you like the scent of some of the oils more than others and that is an important part of using essential oils for mood and hormonal balancing. The more you enjoy the scent the more you will use it and the better effect it will have on your mind. Some people also find that they are drawn to the scent of different oils throughout the month, depending where you are in your cycle. Interesting…..
The Deva Life
I am Jasmin Fiore, a yoga teacher, aromatherapist, reiki master, mother and young breast cancer patient interested in all things that keep us happy and healthy. Please join us for weekly insights and info as we explore ways to create a brilliant,healthy, love filled deva life.
Deva - a sanskrit word for celestial or shining – a powerful connection to nature, the universe, and the ability to connect with the divine.